Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Steve Kluger

River Otter

River Otter - Mark Wildyr

4,3 stars

[b:River Otter|15785889|River Otter|Mark Wildyr|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344086219s/15785889.jpg|21504699] is a sequel to [b:Cut Hand|7743726|Cut Hand|Mark Wildyr|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348722862s/7743726.jpg|10561360] and I strongly recommend to start with the first book to get the full impact of River Otter that started where the first book ended without any break in the story. The author made the connection between the both books seamlessly.

I wouldn't consider River Otter as a MM romance, it is in the first place a historical fiction but not without. This book is a great documentary evidence of the events that took place in one the most significant and tragic periods of the American history - the post Civil War period, Manifest Destiny and the American Indian Wars, 1860's to 1890's (Yes, I googled).

River Otteris a wonderfully written life and love story of River Otter, a survivor of the wholesale massacre of Yanube people, that reads more like a journal than a book. The relationship between the Native American and a white man,Major James Morrow, differs from from the relationship between Bill and Cut Hand from the first book, but they are not less intense and heart-warming and touching, only in some other way. Maybe because our MCs are older and wiser and are more experienced.

I think that overall I liked River Otter even more than Cut Hand. Not only because of the ending and the less repetitions in the plot,but also because of the great portraying secondary characters, that were both evil and good, but so real and such powerfully written that I felt every single emotion they were suffered through like my own. The sequel, similar to the first book, characterizes by a slow pace of telling, but the author knows too well how to keep the reader's attention on every small detail without getting bored. And I like it how it is. The reader is not a passive observer but an active participant of the story. The vividness with which its dramatic plot is rendered, is incredibly colorful and alive.

I really enjoyed every moment of this long-haul historical journey.