Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Steve Kluger

The Shattered Door

The Shattered Door - Brandon Witt
Audible

I'm still on the fence about this book.

On the one hand I enjoyed the writing and wanted to know what happened next.
On the other hand...there were so many things that personally annoyed me, so that I had partly to struggle to come through the plot.

My main issue was a religion topic. Not that I WASN'T prepared. I had read the blurb and skimmed through some reviews before I picked up this book, but I honestly didn't expect it to be in THIS FORM. I expected rather a big fat secret hidden deeply in the past of our MC that suddenly would be discovered and make his well-ordered life to a living hell. No, that wasn't the case.

It was religion on the daily basis. Let me explain: Brooke returned to his hometown for family reasons. In El Dorado Springs the church rules the world. And to such an extent that borders on incredibility and ludicrousness. It seems, the only concern ALL citizens of this small community have in their lives, is to be good Christians. I think this phrase was like in every second sentence in the second part of the book. What century are we living in? I can't imagine a church could have so much power and control over people every day's lives, but I'm not from the USA: Other countries, other customs.

To be both, a good Christian and gay, is difficult, but possible. And Brooke tried to prove it with all his positive power and mood, excellent principles and good intentions. He didn't succeed. What one needed to convince the population of El Dorado Springs was only a single failed suicide attempt, and suddenly he became welcome. I was wondering what would happen, if this kid didn't try to kill himself? Brooke would have probably never been able to cross the threshold of this place of worship in his life. And what did we learn from it?! No idea.

I hate the ending.Because of Donnie. Because I didn't understand it. Why? It didn't match with the story-line. Did it teach us that sex before marriage is BAD? It is why God punished a sinner?! What message did this deadly car accident deliver?! No idea.

All in all I found the narrative by [a:Andrew McFerrin|7846602|Andrew McFerrin|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] okay, but his way to present the old ladies was horrible. Unfortunately there were MANY OLD LADIES in this book. I'd prefer he kept his normal voice for the old women, and didn't try to sound like (an) old witch(es) instead.

All in all, despite my list of issues, I was invested in the story and I found the idea with the shattered door very beautiful and symbolical.

I still hope to find a book by [a:Brandon Witt|4896623|Brandon Witt|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1387216636p2/4896623.jpg] that will satisfy all my criteria.
The one of the important ones he has already met.