Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Goliath: A Thriller
Shawn Corridan, Gary Waid
Last Days of Summer
Steve Kluger

The Next One Will Kill You: An Angus Green Novel (Angus Green Series)

The Next One Will Kill You: An Angus Green Novel (Angus Green Series) - Neil S. Plakcy
3,3 stars

It was my first Neil S.Plakcy, so I have nothing to compare with/to be able to claim that this novel has been written in a typical Neil Plakcy’s style. I assume though that in Neil S. Plakcy’s books the mystery plays a key role, while a love story settled for a second role.

The plot:

Angus Green, twenty-six year old, gay, knew his way around numbers, but always dreamed of doing something more exciting than a boring accountant job. It was the reason, why he joined FBI. Only now, instead of hunting down criminals, he prepares tax returns and continues to dream to become a field agent.

His patience will be rewarded.
A waiter from a gay bar, where Angus is a regular, contacts FBI to share important information on a possible breach of homeland security. When the informant doesn't come neither to the arranged appointment nor to work and simply disappears without any trace, the suspicious grow stronger that the threat should be taken very seriously. It is when Angus gets his chance: he'll be transferred to the case that is working by two experienced FBI agents.

Thanks to his connections and confidence he, as a gay agent, has in a gay scene, his high ambitions, an indefatigable will to solve the case, his exceptional investigating skills and...a lot of luck, he turns out to be the best possible partner for two FBI veterans they can only dream of.

A summery:

The first part in the book was really good. If the second part had had the same dynamic and the same mixture of spirit of adventure, suspense and insights into a private life of the rookie agent Angus Green, it would have been a solid 4+ read for me. Unfortunately, in the course of the story, the case became more and more complicated and the plot began to concentrate mostly on the investigation, it made the story a bit too overloaded with the case's details. The little of Angus's love life was gently put aside and the healthy balance of the first part started to suffer.

I can understand that the author wanted to show how good Angus did his job, but I couldn't also ignore the fact, that the FBI-“oldies” were simply not good enough.

All in all, it was an interesting mystery, that has a lot of potential if it will become a series.

My first Neil S.Plakcy, but for sure not the last one.

**Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**