Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

And the Band Played On
Randy Shilts, Victor Bevine

Death Comes Darkly

Death Comes Darkly - David S. Pederson

I don't remember when I read a classic mystery novel the last time, I almost forgot how much I enjoy it. How nice that there are authors who can deliver a solid historic mystery a là Agatha Christie though with its own style and soul.

When detective Heath Barrington got unexpectedly an invitation to spend a weekend at the isolated summer estate of a wealthy industrialist at the Lake Geneva, he couldn't turn it down. Who would?!
"My summer house has eight bedrooms, and though I am inviting other guests, you and your wife would be quite comfortable. If you choose to bring a companion, you would each have your own room."

And so we have here:

imagea weekend in the isolated summer house at the Lake, that could be reach only by a lake steamer

imagea bunch of strange people who don't actually enjoy each other's company too much

imageBAD weather

imagea DEAD BODY

imagea CUT telephone cable=the one and the only one phone is DEAD too.

imageand a bunch of suspects=the number of guests(except our detective & police officer)

image

Of course our brave detective and his companion police officer Alan Keyes didn't imagine their mutual weekend in the beautiful natural surroundings of the lake to turn into a murder investigation, but because the local authorities couldn't be reached, they had to act official.
And they did it splendid. Before the local authorities arrived, they solved the case.

I enjoyed this book, and even if there is no steam at all, I didn't miss it. The main focus is set on the mystery and if you LOVE Agatha Christie, you shouldn't miss this one. The writing is very pleasant, the mystery is old-fashioned, but in a good meaning, intriguing plot, well developed characters. I'd like to read more of Heath Barrington and Alan Keyes in the future. This couple has a big potential.

Highly recommended.

**Copy provided by the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**