Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Last Days of Summer
Steve Kluger

If the Creek Don't Rise: A Novel

If the Creek Don't Rise: A Novel - Leah Weiss
Beautiful prose, deeply developed characters, engaging story-line, unforgettable read.

I wish I could adopt the blurb and make it to my review. It has absolutely everything that a reader needs to know to decide if it is worth it to read this book or not. Honestly, just read the blurb and you will know.

This book is a pure beauty, in words and in a way the story is told. It has a very unique structure, a multiple first person pov. I'm not a big fan of changing POV, and I have never imagined that a multiple viewpoint novel could be such a satisfying read, and even less that a debut author can master the challenge with such ease and style.

Set in a small provincial community, in North Carolina, in the Appalachian mountain, in the 1970s, [b:If The Creek Don't Rise: A Novel|32804703|If The Creek Don't Rise A Novel|Leah Weiss|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1478043967s/32804703.jpg|53402293] tells the story of Sadie Blue, of finding hopes and strength to be able to take fate in her own hands.

Breathtaking nature as an astonishing contrast to the terribly poor living and social conditions.

For me it was shocking to learn how poor and uneducated were the people who lived in this area. I couldn't believe I was reading about the 1970s setting in the USA, and not about the much earlier period of time in some foreign country, abandoned by God and civilization.

I absolutely LOVE this book.

***Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.