Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Goliath: A Thriller
Shawn Corridan, Gary Waid
Last Days of Summer
Steve Kluger

Taming the Wyld (States of Love)

Taming the Wyld (States of Love) - Lucie Archer

Rounded up

I’m a city gal to the core. I was born and always live in big cities. That probably influenced my life in a way, because even if I enjoy to be in the middle of the nature and I like hiking – we have wonderful hiking places where I live now – I’ve never been an adventure type. My hubby tried many times to persuade me to do camping but had to give up. We did camping at the very beginning of our marriage. Once. And never after.

I live and experience my adventures through my books. I adore to read about people who spend most of their lives in the wilderness, because it is sooo far and different from the life I live!..The characters who know how to deal with unpredictable weather, wild animals, who can enjoy the extraordinary beauty of the landscape and their own solitude in peace and quiet are my favorite.

It is why books with Alaska in titles or blurbs have all my attention. Alaska in combination with The Witness Protection Program and FBI? Even better. I’m a passionate mystery reader as many of you maybe already know. Besides, the blurb sounded kind like Did You Hear About the Morgans?, the movie I like. What could be better?! I was excited.

It started well. Well…at least it started promising.

Bush pilot Jake Wylder, Alaskan born and bred, an owner of a small transport company of two small planes in Alaska, that delivers medical supplies, is sexy as hell and slut to the core. In spite of his reputation men and women, old and young can’t resist his charms and he always lands in someone’s bed if he wants. JD Smith, a California native, who is used to sun and surf, and doesn’t actually know how snow look likes, a doctor, who accidentally occurred to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and for this reason has to spend some months, up to the trail, under The Witness Protection Program in Alaska, to play nurse at the local hospital.

I have to warn all mystery fans: the mystery part isn’t present in this novel. Except some short communications with the agent in charge of the JD’s case, and a short explanation of why JD is where he is at the beginning, there is no mention of it at all later, nothing dangerous or thrilling happens here.

That actually not a bad thing. It means that the plot is focused utterly on the romance part.
A sexy slutty bi pilot vs. sexy and good-mannered city doctor.
A small town citizen vs. a big city resident.
Jack’s glacier blue eyes vs. JD’s brightest green eyes.
Their first meeting was predestined.

Of course they were immediately struck by the beauty of the opposite side.
What follows after, shortly:

~ Jack falls in love, stops to sleep around and tries everything to win the attention of JD. Though deep in his heart he knows that a city gay guy won’t probably be happy to spend the rest of his life in the wild.
~ JD knows the reputation of Jack and tries to fight his feelings, because he is not a one-nigh-stand type and prefers serious relationships and he doesn’t think he can spend the rest of his life far away from a big city.
~Well...[b:Taming the Wyld|30826996|Taming the Wyld|Lucie Archer|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1470505988s/30826996.jpg|51420022] is a contemporary MM romance. And a romance book HAS to follow the rules. That means, they will find a solution and they will stay together.
The END.

After I mentioned that there is no mystery present here, I have unfortunately to add that there is no romance present here either. A not convincing enough or not presented at all romance in a romance novel is not a good sign.

The author TRIED hard to create a romance relationship, but that would include, in particular

1. a relationship’s build up
2. sexual tension
3. well written sex scenes
4. intense dialogues

Without these components there is no romance for me. Sorry.

And the last and the most important fact:
the plot HAS to deliver something special about the story.
Lucie Archer failed on all fronts.

Not to mention, that the author failed also to create impressive setting surroundings -the story could be placed anywhere else, I didn’t feel the spirit of Alaska at all. Very pity.

Sorry. No recommendation from me.