Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Steve Kluger

Darkness

Darkness - Kate Sherwood 3,5 stars

***Could be spoilerish***

The third book in the series confirmed my initial suspicious of Mosely being the most corrupted small town not only in Montana but in the whole country, if not worldwide.

It is a MM romance MYSTERY series. Let's talk about mystery.

What did Mosely offer us in the previous sequels?

Drug trafficking and semi-organized crime. The fact that it happens on the Canadian border is indeed very unusual-I could better understand it if it took place somewhere more southern - though the idea is refreshing- it contradicts all my imaginations of Canada being a place too dull to be criminal.

Criminal bikers with the connections to the Chicago mafia.

Corrupted FBI agents, corrupted retired Sheriff.

Arson.

At least one unsolved murder.

No wonder that the FBI and the DEA practically live in Mosely, mostly because they've got surveillance on Wade .
Let us TRY NOT to talk about WHY and HOW they all think that Wade is the main criminal brain and power behind EVERY SINGLE CRIME in Mosely, this criminal El Dorado and how their 24/7 observation makes all possible sexual interaction between our MCs even more complicated as it is already.

But honestly, I didn't get WHAT else the FBI and the DEA were doing there. It was a lot of noise around their job/activity in the previous sequels, but suddenly they moved in the background and it looks like their main task in the third book became just to stand in the way.

Darkness added some new activities to the criminal list of the citizens of Mosely. (Their criminal energy is tireless!) We got a meth labor right next to school - not that DEA starts to get bored there, but it is nothing comparing to a serial killer who suddenly appeared in the town!

Well, one can question the methods how this serial killer's case has been solved at the end. And, honestly, I don't want even start to complain about the investigation (what investigation?!). I just say, WHY the hell not?

And judging from the way it was solved, I dare to guess how the last sequel will end: our under-sheriff Jericho will take over the leading position of the Mosley Sheriff's Department. And his wannabe lover Wade will get a medal as Robin Hood of the 21th century.

But who cares?
The most important thing for now - they will be together. And I swear, they made a huge step forward in fulfilling THIS all-reader's collective dream. They are such a hot bunch together, the chemistry is fantastic and I enjoyed the dialogues, the heated banter between them in this sequel more than in the previous ones. Not to mention the inexorable progress of their relationship.

The bottom line:

Even if my mystery soul got frozen in a eye-roll pose at the end of the book,

my romance soul was perfidiously SATISFIED.

***ARC provided by the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.