Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Goliath: A Thriller
Shawn Corridan, Gary Waid
Last Days of Summer
Steve Kluger

Long Shadows (Common Law Book 1)

Long Shadows (Common Law Book 1) - Kate Sherwood

4,5 stars

Great start for a new PROMISING series!

I hadn't read anything by [a:Kate Sherwood|3462951|Kate Sherwood|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1456665799p2/3462951.jpg] before, so I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book. I liked the blurb and I liked the cover (thanks God, no half naked men in the fog!) To tell the truth, I was rather skeptical (than euphoric). Too many mediocre MM Mystery Romance books on the market, too many of them led to disappointments for me.

I could have said, MAYBE I had enjoyed it because my expectations were zero, or MAYBE the timing was JUST good and my mood was JUST right, but honestly, it would be like looking for the fly in the ointment.

THIS BOOK WAS FUN! PERIOD.

FUN because it has FABULOUS characters.

(I'm still trying to find out who is on the cover: Jericho or Wade.)

Jericho who left Mosely, Montana, and his violent criminal father many years ago without looking back. A lot of happens since then: eight years in the Marines, four tours of Afghanistan, several commendations including a Purple Heart and a Silver Star. He earned his bachelor's degree while serving and joined after the LAPD as a detective in a robbery and homicide division.
AND NOW, over 10 years later, he returns to his home town because of the sudden call: his father had a stroke.

Wade is Jericho's BEST TEEN FRIEND, his buddy, his first love, his kindred spirit, whom he LEFT BEHIND many years ago without looking back, and who is the reason he is EXCITED to come back to Mosley. No, it is one of the reason Jericho rushes to his home town(the stroke is just an excuse) after this sudden call, even if he is not ready to admit it even to himself.

AND HERE WE HAVE ALREADY A CONFLICT.

Because.....

Wade is not a good citizen, just the opposite.

THEY have still this PERFECT connection (you know what I mean, right?) For Jericho it is like COMING HOME. AND. It is like coming in greatest trouble. And. THAT is the last thing Jericho needs in the very moment.

What I liked BESIDE the characters(they were GREAT!!!)

SLOOOOOOW build-up. I don't know if I can name it BUILD-UP. It is not so that they just met. But their separation was rush and left a lot of unanswered questions.

The dialogues. I LOVE THEM. I have to confess, that inability to create a good conversation in my romance books is one of the main reasons for my disappointment. [a:Kate Sherwood|3462951|Kate Sherwood|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1456665799p2/3462951.jpg] mastered it perfectly.

The mystery was good. Corrupted cops/feds, an environment of a small province town, secondary characters, everything was just RIGHT.

I CAN'T WAIT for the next book. One of the reasons is....(do I dare to say it?!)

THERE IS NO A SINGLE SEX SCENE in the first book of the series.
But. You know what? I DON'T CARE. I'm even glad there were none, my dessert is on its way.

THIS BOOK WAS FUN even without a single graphical sex scene. And now you know WHY I can't wait for the next book. YES. It is one of the reasons. But also..

Because, it was FUN, it has great characters, it is good written, and I want MOOOOOOOOORE!!!

****Copy provided by the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***