Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

And the Band Played On
Randy Shilts, Victor Bevine

Murder Under the Fig Tree

Murder Under the Fig Tree - Kate Raphael 3,5 stars

I decided NOT to write my review immediately after I had finished this book in order to distance myself from political influence and to concentrate only on the fictional content, but it was not THAT easy. Well...It is not a fairy tale about a unicorn that got lost in the wood. It is a Palestinian mystery set in the middle of a long-time conflict, the conflict that is so old and established that meanwhile no one really knows when and how it began, but the worst is – no one really no how to solve it. Do you think it is possible to avoid politics in a novel like this?

The Plot:

The main character, Rania, is a female Palestine detective, who investigates on her own the murder of a young Palestinian man. She is officially not on duty, taking rest, after having being released from an Israel’s jail where she was kept imprisoned without charge. Rania wants to find evidence to prove that it was Israelis solders who shot the Palestinian student. That means compensation money from the Israel’s army for his family. For the local Palestinian police department the case is clear but insolvable, but not for Rania and her detective instincts. Though the deeper she gets into the investigation, the more involved people she interviews, the more doubts she has about the case. Her suspicion grows stronger when she finds out that the murdered Palestinian student was gay. Will Rania stay true to her principles of justice or will she stop digging and accept the official version?

image

OK. I'll try to be OBJECTIVE.

It was less a mystery but rather an exceptional introduction into the foreign cultures and traditions. It was an entertaining narrative full of vibrant and colorful images. [a:Kate Raphael|4285293|Kate Raphael|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1442522264p2/4285293.jpg] doesn't stay on a single perspective, she gives us the story from different angles, different POVs. It is why I would say, the author has more than one parallel story lines.
It made the story in the whole more richly.

At the beginning I found her using of Arabic and Hebrew in dialogues a bit annoying, but soon I understood her reason, and appreciate it. It is indispensable for the development of the plot. Her characters are Jews, Palestinians and Americans, and it is important to know who winch language uses at the very moment.

Everything in this book feels very real. The author knows too good not only the difficult backdrop of the Israel-Palestine issue but also a Palestinian day-to-day life. No wonder- she lived in Palestine for a while and have close connections to LGBT community there, she has friends in Palestine. It is the reason why this book has understandings more for the one side than for another.

But I had a hard time reading through some episodes. With all my understanding of author's personal experience. Though I am aware that this story is told from the Palestinian's view, and – desired or not – I believe that she doesn't exaggerate, unfortunately also about the mutual hatred of Israelis and Palestinians.

I won't define this book as an extremely enjoyable read, because the topic is just a way too complicated and too serious and bloody to use the word “joy”, but it was a very interesting and somehow an exceptional read. With a solid and vivid writing style, authentic characters, an entertaining narrative flow from the different perspectives, with more than just one story line coined by vibrant and colorful images and with an ending that could have been very satisfying if not a spoon of tar in a barrel of honey on the very top. But maybe it is just me being subjective.

It is a second book in the series, but one can read it as a stand-alone. And the author made me curious enough to looking forward to the next installment of the series.

***Copy provided kindly by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***