Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Steve Kluger

Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries

Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries - Marshall Thornton
4,5 stars!!!

I. AM. SOOOOOO. IMPRESSED.

I am sooooooo in love with the plot, with the main character Nick Nowak, with the refreshing amazing writing of [a:Marshall Thornton|3000192|Marshall Thornton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1263196997p2/3000192.jpg]!
I am soooo happy I found this author!
Thanks GOD, you heard me.

I've read a lot of cop's romances last time, about closet cops, outed cops, cops living and working in the past, present or set in a fantasy world. I am sucker for this kind of stories. Because mostly you get not only an exciting romance but also a thrilling plot. A good mixture, I like it this way. But all these books have a lot of similarities, a typical schema. Boystown stands out from them.

It is NOT a typical candy suspense romance.
And Nick Nowak is not a typical detective.
The whole book is written in 1-st person. If an author can do it, it is my favourite way of telling. And Marshall Thornton is an excellent first-person-POV's teller. His writing is FANTASTIC!! Witty, refreshing, intense, a brilliant mixture of sex and suspense.

The series takes place in Chicago in the early 80s, the pre-AIDS wild time. And the first book includes 3 parts, 3 cases-

Little Boy Found.
Little Boy Burned.
Little boy Fallen.

-that per se are not connected but we meet some already known characters.

Not a typical plot structure, but it is an interesting and a perfect way to show Nick in different situations. Because....HE IS the main attraction here, he is the main figure of the series, everything revolves around him. Nick is a lone wolf, an ex-cop and now a private investigator, a testosterone cannon. He is not in love. He doesn't want to fall in love. And there is a reason for it.

I love EVERYTHING about this book. And I am so happy that there are further 4 instalments for this series, because right now I can't have enough of it and I am hooked. Yeah, I want more!!!

Highly highly recommended!!!!

It was a stroke of luck for me that I discovered this series,totally by chance, browsing through Rosa's shelves. Thank you, Rosa!!!