Lenaribka

Lenaribka

"We should read to give our souls a chance to luxuriate."

~Henry Miller

Steve Kluger
And the Band Played On
Randy Shilts, Victor Bevine

Fadeout: A Dave Brandstetter Mystery

Fadeout: A Dave Brandstetter Mystery - Joseph Hansen 4,5 stars.

Preface:

My first [a:Joseph Hansen|7737|Joseph Hansen|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1369326227p2/7737.jpg] book. And this date I should mark in my calender. Because to review a book of Joseph Hansen without mention the person Joseph Hansen itself is IMPOSSIBLE. He is the real pioneer of the gay mystery/thriller genre. Even if you are not a fan of this genre, but consider yourself a passionate MM-reader, then it belongs to your general knowledge to know this name: Joseph Hansen. Born 1923, died 2004(*sob*).

His twelve novels about Dave Brandstetter, an insurance claims investigator had a big influence on the works of the biggest writers of our time in this genre. You just should read the interviews with [a:Josh Lanyon|359194|Josh Lanyon|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1289326144p2/359194.jpg], [a:Marshall Thornton|3000192|Marshall Thornton|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1263196997p2/3000192.jpg], [a:Michael Nava|306882|Michael Nava|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1385317935p2/306882.jpg] and a lot of other significant representatives of a gay mystery/thriller genre.

My review:

I have to confess that I was a bit afraid as I started [b:Fadeout|473421|Fadeout (Dave Brandstetter, #1)|Joseph Hansen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348364416s/473421.jpg|461691]. Of course I wanted to like it but I was not sure WHAT to expect from a GAY mystery that takes place at the end of 60s and was FIRST PUBLISHED 1970. I don't belong to the people who regularly watch black and white old movies.
HOW could it be possible to write a GAY MYSTERY with a NOT closet PI in the main role that takes place at the end of 60s?!
Wasn't our society much more prude than now?
The modern LGBT civil rights movement was at the very beginning.
How was it possible at that time to release a novel where the main hero was gay, not to castrate a plot and create such a great character that still inspires the increasingly growing generation of gay fiction writers?

To say that the first book of the Dave Brandstetter Mystery is well-written is an understatement. It is BRILLIANT. And it proves WHY Joseph Hansen and his protagonist Dave Brandstetter belong to the best what this genre can provide. I couldn't believe that it was written at at the end of the 60s! It is sooo refreshing, it is sooooo REAL, absolutely UP TO DATE!

One of my concerns were SEX SCENES.
Yes, we're a modern generation of MM readers, we need them, period. But will be there any at all? And if yes, how could the author find a balance between the genre and the acceptance of the society at THAT time, remaining credible and authentic. He did it very good. I can assure you. You won't be drown in a sea out of lubricant and cums, you won't be practically knocked unconscious by the weigh of many hard cocks. But there is SEX in the book. And it is quite provoking for THAT time.
Less is more.
His 12 Dave Brandstetter's novels were published between the early 70s and the middle of the 90s and I'm sure now that it will be also more sex, more feelings and more emotions in the next instalments. But it is NOT ROMANCE, in the first place it's an excellent mystery that presents realistic people with real feelings MORE THAN 40 YEARS AGO! I can hardly believe it! I had to remind myself during reading- it is the 60s, it is the 60s! Because you don't have this imagination at all!

The story:
We meet Dave Brandstetter, an insurance investigator and contentedly gay, in the difficult time of his life - his life partner died of cancer and the decision to return to work is his way to combat his own unresolved grief for a dead lover. And it is his first case in the series: The car of Fox Olson, an entertainer, happy husband and farther, was found in a storm, but without his body. Was it a suicide or did he just disappear and fake his death. And why? As Brandstetter questions family, fans, and detractors, he grows certain Olson is still alive and that Dave must find him before the would-be killer does.

Sounds interesting? It is. I spent all my day reading. Because I couldn't put it down! Not for a minute! I'm so excited to have yet 11 books of this series. I want to know more of Dave Brandstetter.
He is one of the best characters of a gay fiction genre - so loyal sharp-witted, courageous, amazing and soooo REAL.

So...Don't wait. Read it now. Better yesterday.

Highly highly recommended.

P.S I warned you already, it is a MUST READ for all MM-reader. But if you read preferably ONLY MM-romance books, if you don't like mystery, you should better skip this one.